ICP Short History
In 2016-7, the International Council of Psychologists, Inc.(ICP) celebrated its 75th year as a pioneering professional association. ICP’s three name changes reflect the inclusive, innovative, and collaborative nature envisioned by those who established the National Council of Women Psychologists in the USA in 1941. In 1946, the name was changed to International Council of Women Psychologists, as female psychologists from all nations were invited to share in furthering the advancement of scientific psychology and its applications throughout the world.
In 1959, when membership was opened to all psychologists, the name became The International Council of Psychologists. This expansion enabled ICP to broaden its mission, range of activities, and membership.
In 1962, ICP became incorporated in Connecticut as a 501C3 non-profit educational organization. In 1981, ICP was granted Non-Governmental Consultative Status to The United Nations Economic and Social Council. ICP’s Main UN Representatives have held leadership positions, including on the CoNGO (Conference of UN NGOs) board, and in many NGO Committees.
ICP’s many activities provide professional opportunities for members to collaborate with each other, with colleagues around te world, and with other associations on matters of professional interest.