Nomination Deadline: tbd for 2021
This award is given to a senior or mid-career level psychologist with distinguished contributions to international psychology in research and service. The recipient is expected to present an address at the 2020 ICP Annual Convention that relates to his/her research and service.
The Fukuhara Award is funded through an ICP, Inc. Award Fund established by Dr. Machiko Fukuhara, past President, past Treasurer and past Director At Large. She became a member in 1978. Dr. Fukuhara organized the 1990 and 2016 ICP annual conferences in Yokohama and Tokyo. She is Professor Emeritus of Tokiwa University, President of the Japanese Association of Microcounseling and Director of NPO Psychoeducation Institute. Dr. Fukuhara served four terms on the Board of the International Association of Applied Psychology; pioneered women’s rights; and contributed breakthrough cultural information through her research collaborations with former ICP, Inc president Charles D. Spielberger in work stress and personality characteristics.
This award promotes those qualities that epitomize Dr. Fukuhara’s approach: standards of excellence, collaborative international research and supportive relationships within the community of international psychology associations and psychologists.
- Honorarium of $300 USD, an award certificate and an award plaque
- An invitation to present at the ICP, Inc annual conference with waived conference registration fee
Nomination materials and procedure
- All nominations must be made online.
- Materials Required:
- Name, address, phone, and email for BOTH nominator and nominee
- Cover Letter indicating how the nominee fits the award criteria (pdf or word)
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Self-nominations are permitted.
Submit Nomination Materials and all questions online.
Please direct questions to the Fukuhara Award Chair Naoki Asazuma
- 2019: Dr. Klaus Boehnke, Jacobs University, Germany
- 2018: Dr. Brian Mishara, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada
- 2017: Dr. Uwe Gielen, St. Johns University, United States
- 2016: Dr. Janel Gauthier, Laval University, Canada
- 2015: Dr. Merry Bullock, American Psychological Association, USA
- 2014: Dr. Michael Knowles, Monash University, Australia
- 2013: Dr. Jose Piero, Valencia University, Spain
- 2012: Dr. Charles Spielberger, University of South Florida, USA